WindowsFormsHost in ElementFlow

Aug 7, 2009 at 6:10 PM

Hi everybody,

First of all I am really impressed by all the cool features of FluidKit. Great work! I played around with it and displaying WPF UserControls in ElementFlow works fine.

My problem now is that in my App I have some .Net 2.0 Windows Forms based UserControls. Up to now my efforts to include them in ElementFlow didn't pay off. When I use the WPF WindowsFormsHost, the legacy UserControls are loaded and displayed, but at a position outside the ElementFlow items.

Since I am somewhat new to WPF I don't know whether including Windows Forms based UserControls in ElementFlow is possible at all.

Any hints are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

dng

Coordinator
Aug 10, 2009 at 6:24 PM

dng,

I am afraid this will not work well with ElementFlow because of AirSpace issues.

Aug 12, 2009 at 10:27 AM

pavanpodila,

Thanks for your answer. I am using ElementFlow to "scroll" through the open UserControl of my App. Since there is no need to work directly on the UserControls in ElementFlow (you have to select them by doubleclick) I will try the following workaround:

- Going through the Visual Tree and setting the visibility of the WindowsFormsHosts to Hidden. This works already but of course you get a "hole" in the UI.

- Adding an image to the VisualTree at the location of the WindowsFormsHost with the screen content of the WindowsFormsHost so that you still "see" the WindowsFormsHost (although its only an image now). That where I am currently working.

- When you select an UserControl to work with then go back this chain.

I will let you know whether this works.

Thanks and cheers

dng

Oct 19, 2009 at 7:25 PM

Hey dng,

I see you managed to display UserControls in ElementFlow. I am trying to do the same for .Net 3.5. Could you describe the modifications needed to make this work? 

Thanks in advance,

Olivier

Oct 29, 2009 at 4:25 PM

Hi Olivier,

are you talking about WPF based or Windows Forms based UserControls? Element Flow can handle WPF based UserControls. But for Windows Forms based UserControls you have to use workarounds like the discribed.

Best regards,

dng

Oct 29, 2009 at 4:45 PM

Hey dng,

I was using WPF based user controls. I guess I made an error somewhere while changing code... I decided to start a project from scratch, rewriting stuff similar to Element Flow and it worked well (userControls are in 3D space, remain interactive, ..). Turned out to be easier for me to start from scratch than to modify Element Flow. I'm fairly new to WPF, so it helped me in my understanding of WPF applications. I will keep your post in mind as I might eventually have a Windows.Forms UserControl to display in there :).

Thanks for your help,
Olivier