This project is read-only.

Refresh speed in ElementFlow

Jun 25, 2008 at 12:42 AM
Hi Pavan,

Firstly I want to say what a great contol ElementFlow is, I am an average programmer and am using VB.net and found it easy to add to my project and customise.  The problem I am having is with the speed of updating when adding or removing a large number of items.

I have based my initial tests on the sample program in FluidKit but changed the ImageCollection from a string to a bitmapimage so that for testing i only need to load a single image, I have created two collections and loaded one with 20 entries which is assigned to _itemscontrol.itemsource and loaded the other with 150 entries.  Using an addional button on the page I add the additional 150 items to the end of the other collection.

The addition takes about 6 seconds, for my app I expect to be changing from collections containing a few items to a those with a few hundred so could imagine this time being alot more.

Any suggestions you have on how to speed up this process would be great.

Many Thanks,

Simon.

Jun 25, 2008 at 11:31 AM
Hi Simon,
          What you are looking for is virtualization of the control. That would ensure that only the items in the view will be created, leading to lesser overhead on the WPF render tree and thus increase in speed. I plan to add this feature in the next release. Please continue using the control and let me know what would make it better ;-)

Thanks a lot for reporting your findings!

Cheers!
Pavan
Jun 25, 2008 at 4:41 PM
Hey Simon,

I'm not sure what all you've done to help with the issue, but I have similiar concerns with one of my solutions.  A few things that I've done to help. 

1) Cache images
2) Reduce image sizes

I also think that dealing with streams instead of file IO appears to be quicker.

If you can make some assumptions about the users potential next set of logical actions... you can pre-load a collection, etc.

Hope some of this makes some sense.

Take care,

Ricky