This project is read-only.

ElementFlow with Video instead of Image

Apr 8, 2008 at 8:32 AM
Hi,

first, thank you very much for the great Job you are doing with this Library. I am starting a WPF multimedia application and there is a great chance it will use the fluidkit library. I am wondering how one can extend the ElementFlow in order to display videos instead of images as the MediaElement does. My goal is to present a video library as an ElementFlow with video thumbnails, a user can choose to preview or play the SlectedItem's video.

any advices are welcome,

thanks in advance
Apr 8, 2008 at 6:29 PM
That's a great way to take ElementFlow forward. I think the current version should be able to support that with custom DataTemplate that embeds the MediaElement. Internally I use a Visual Brush to map that to a Plane mesh. So outright I don't see any issues. May be performance can become an issue if you are quickly switching playing-videos. A way to optimize that would be to use a single MediaElement and then show a snapshot (image) of the video on the meshes.

Some work could also be done internally to optimize the experience. But go ahead and try out by putting MediaElement in the DataTemplate. If you see major problems we can work out something later.

Best Wishes,
Pavan
May 12, 2008 at 9:12 PM
Ive been trying to get a media element to work with the method described here and Ive had no luck. I have no problem displaying a media element in a plain items control using a grid as the panel. I know the media element works on my machine but i dont think its ever updating in the elementflow. Anyone have any suggestions?
May 14, 2008 at 6:40 PM
Ive solved my problem, it was a little bit odd but i had the media element inside of two borders... when i got rid of the one on the outside everything just started to work.
Jun 28, 2008 at 10:28 AM
I'm having trouble getting a MedieElement to render too. I tried stripping the template back to bare bones - no borders etc - but no luck.
Appreciate any ideas...(Vista, .NET 3.0, *no* SP1)

ps: Apart from this little issue FluidKit ROCKS! great effort.